Quote of the...

" [speaking of slavery] I am aware that many object to the severity of my language; but is there not cause for severity? I will be as harsh as truth, and as uncompromising as justice. On this subject, I do not wish to think, or to speak, or write, with moderation. No! no! Tell a man whose house is on fire to give a moderate alarm; tell him to moderately rescue his wife from the hands of the ravisher; tell the mother to gradually extricate her babe from the fire into which it has fallen; – but urge me not to use moderation in a cause like the present. I am in earnest – I will not equivocate – I will not excuse – I will not retreat a single inch – AND I WILL BE HEARD. The apathy of the people is enough to make every statue leap from its pedestal, and to hasten the resurrection of the dead."

William Lloyd Garrison, “To the Public,” from the Inaugural Editorial in the 1 January 1831 The Liberator

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Mind

Heath Ledger was keeping a journal so called the "Joker Journal" in order to help him in his crazed role in The Dark Knight. During the filming of this movie he was on anti-depressants, for he was having a hard time not being in the dumps. I would say a great part of that was because he was meditating on depressing things. I heard a report that he try to think up scenarios that his character the Joker would laugh about. I cannot recall exactly what it was, but it was something along the morbid line of: The Joker would laugh at 100 people drowning in a flood. Now, this thought alone is enough to make me sick, but to meditate on it and to become that character surely would be depressing. They say he died of an over dose. No wonder he was so depressed. The mind had the control over his body, for Heath had everything going for him the natural, but his mind was being filled with junk and thus death was result.
In Proverbs it say that as a man thinks he is so he is, or something along those lines. I cannot find the reference right now. My point though is, we Christians have been given a mind, that we are not using to the fullest. I believe by the mind we are transformed (Rom 12:2). I know that I am not transformed yet, to the measure that I can be in this life. I believe it is because I am still meditating on who I am before the cross and not after the cross. I believe that the devil is surely ticked off when we say Jesus I believe in you and want to follow you, however, his next task is to keep us living as his children although he is no longer our father. You see he is the father of lies and his lies have power over our flesh, but we are not of the flesh but the spirit. Our Father is in heaven and he is the Father of life and truth. O that God's children begin to renew their mind on who they are and not who they think they are or feel that they are. We are children of truth and love.

No comments: